Friday, December 25, 2009

A Time to Celebrate and a Time to Reflect

Merry Christmas, everyone! The dogs and cats as well as my husband and I enjoyed a delightful Christmas Eve afternoon together and now it's Christmas Day. The snow is falling, the fire is blazing in the woodstove, my husband is air-bound to visit his parents who live far away, and I have time to pause in celebration and reflection upon this past year and the wonderful ways my dear pets, my precious family, my great friends, and my loving God have helped me.

For many people today, Christmas Day, is a time to be with family and/or friends, to celebrate love, especially the greatest love of all - God's love for His creation. That love gave us His Son, Jesus, as Redeemer and Savior of all. I personally believe that includes the animals He created, for Genesis 1 tells us that when God created the Heavens, the Earth and the Earth's inhabitants, He called His creation "good". I believe God makes His presence and His love known to us through our pets - their devotion, their friendship, their comfort all reflect the love God has for us. My pets have been a great comfort and inspiration for me, especially this past year with the various struggles and set-backs my family and I have endured. Their continual loyalty and love, their perseverance, their enjoyment of life and taking things in stride serve as reminders to me that life is precious, life is challenging yet life is also to be enjoyed and friends and family treasured.

So this day, I say THANK YOU to my God, my parents, my husband, my friends and my pets for making my life special because of your presence in it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each of you!


No comments: